When you’ve watched any Okay-drama or are remotely fascinated by Korean tradition, you’ve seen Korean Corn Dog: superbly fried, a golden battered scorching canine with mozzarella on a stick, dusted with a glowing sprinkle of sugar.
What’s a Korean corn canine?
Korean corn canines are scorching canine, rice desserts, fish desserts, or mozzarella cheese coated in a batter (and typically panko, french fry items, or ramen) and deep fried. They’re completed with sugar and a signature squirt of your condiment of selection: ketchup, mayo, mustard, or all three. They’re candy and salty and fully scrumptious.
Some Korean hotdogs are made with a yeasted batter and a few are made with a rice flour batter. There are a whole lot of variations!
What makes Korean corn canine totally different?
There are a few variations between the corn canine you already know and the Korean corn canine. The primary distinction between corn canine and Korean corn canine lies within the batter. American corn dogs are battered in a cornmeal batter and Korean corn canine are battered in a yeasted dough or a rice flour batter.
Korean corn canines are additionally completed with a sprinkling of sugar. And final of all, Korean corn canines shouldn’t really have a scorching canine in them. There are many Korean corn canines which might be simply mozzarella cheese, fish cake, or rice desserts.
Learn how to make a Korean corn canine
- Assemble. Begin by reducing the recent canine in half. Minimize the block of mozzarella cheese into sticks roughly the dimensions of the halved scorching canine. Use a stick and skewer, scorching canine, then cheese. Place in the fridge to maintain them chilly.
- Make the batter. In a bowl, combine collectively flour, milk, an egg, baking powder, sugar, and a pinch of salt till thick and clean. Pour the batter right into a tall cup so it’s simpler to dip the recent canine. Like the recent canine and cheese, it’s finest to maintain this within the fridge so it stays chilly.
- Dip. Maintain onto the stick and dip the recent canine, coating fully, ensuring that the batter is clinging to the recent canine and cheese.
- Coat. Instantly take the battered scorching canine and coat it in panko, being positive to press on the panko gently, making certain that it’s fully coated in panko.
- Fry. Warm up the oil over medium excessive warmth. You need the oil temperature to be between 350°F and 375°F. Once you add your corn canine, the oil temp will drop, so intend for 375°F to start out with. I exploit an instant-read thermometer to ensure I’m in the correct vary. Fry the coated corn canine, without crowding till golden and crispy. Use a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon to rigorously scoop them out and allow them to drain on a wire rack.
- Take pleasure in. Sprinkle or roll the golden corn canine in sugar and end with a squiggle of ketchup, mustard, or each.
Air-fried Korean corn canine
You’ll be able to air fry Korean corn canine which has already been deeply fried to reheat them. To air fry, put the frozen corn canine within the air fryer and fry at 350°F for 8-10 minutes, flipping sometimes, till crisp, golden, and warmed by way.
Learn how to make Korean french fry corn canine
Gamja-hot canines are tremendously well-liked and due to frozen fries, they’re very easy to make.
Purchase frozen crinkle minimize fries and allow them to thaw on the counter. Once they’re smooth sufficiently, minimize the fries into small 1/2 inch items and place them in a shallow bowl or on a plate. You need sufficient fry items to fully cowl the underside of the plate or bowl.
Comply with the recipe under, however as an alternative to dipping in panko earlier than frying, dip the battered corn canine in chopped-up french fries, gently urgent to make them follow the batter. Calmly coat with panko (if desired) then fry for 3-5 minutes or till golden and crispy. Take pleasure in!
Korean corn canine elements
- scorching canine – seize your favorite model of scorching canine and minimize it into two. I’m going for the normal all-beef scorching canine.
- mozzarella cheese – it’s higher to get a block of low moisture mozzarella cheese and minimize it into sticks for this recipe, the cheese holds up higher when deep frying and offers you a greater cheese pull. When you solely have cheese string snacks, that may work too.
- batter – I went with a thick batter constituted of flour, eggs, milk, sugar, and a little bit of salt. Some Korean corn canines are made with a yeasted or a rice batter however I found this recipe on youtube and it appeared fairly darn good. The batter labored like an appeal!
- panko – Most Korean corn canines are coated in panko, a fluffy Japanese breadcrumb. Panko is bigger and extra irregularly formed in comparison with commonplace breadcrumbs. It’s the key to gentle and crispy breading. It’s pricey to purchase a bag of panko, particularly for those who love the crunch. Panko is offered in most grocery shops within the Asian aisle nevertheless it’s cheaper to purchase it at an Asian grocery retailer.
- oil – You want about 2-4 cups of oil to deep fry your Korean corn canine. Go for an excessive smoke level oil as you need the oil temperature to be between 350°-375°F. The very best oils for frying are, so as of highest to lowest smoke level: safflower, rice bran, soybean, corn, sunflower, canola, or grapeseed. You need an impartial oil that has no taste. We often purchase safflower as a result I believe it’s cute, so go for what’s reasonably priced.
- sugar – a roll in sugar provides a little bit of sweetness and crunch.
- ketchup and mustard – that is as much as you, a cute squiggle of 1 or each is iconic.
- Skewers. The skewers you employ matter. In the event that they’re too skinny, they received maintain up your Korean corn canine. It’s finest to make use of a thick picket skewer (I used these ones) or a disposable picket chopstick. I want the picket skewers as a result of their sharp tips.
- Chilly cheese, scorching canine, and batter. It’s vital to maintain your mozzarella, scorching canine, and batter chilly. In the event that they’re at room temp too lengthy or they heat up, the cheese has the tendency to ooze out once you’re deep frying. It’s finest for those who hold the canine and cheese chilled for at the very least half-hour in the fridge.
- The correct mozzarella. Talking of cheese, utilizing low-moisture mozzarella blocks is essential. String cheese will work however block mozzarella minimized into sticks can be way more stretchy and melty.
- Sizzling oil. The very best temp to fry these corn canines is 350°F. See the part under to seek out your good deep fry temp.
- One or two at a time. If that is your first time, coat and fry the corn canine one or two at a time. This makes it positive that the cheese and batter stay chilly in the fridge. The colder the cheese and batter, the much less it’s going to leak once you’re frying. Leaky cheese in scorching oil is a multitude!
- Don’t skip out on the sugar. The sugar coating might sound additional nevertheless it’s that candy and salty combo that makes Korean corn canine so good!
- Potatoes. Chopped-up fries are one other well-liked coating for Korean corn canine. They’re referred to as gamja hotdogs they usually’re a scrumptious mashup of corn canine and fries. As a substitute for coating in panko, roll your battered scorching canine in chopped-up frozen french fries and panko then fry as traditional.
Learn how to test your oil temperature
I actually advocate getting an instant-read thermometer so that you get good corn canine. When you don’t have a thermometer, you may test in case your oil is prepared with a thick picket skewer or disposable chopstick. Place the skewer into the oil.
- No bubbles: the oil isn’t scorching sufficient.
- Oil begins effervescent across the chopstick flippantly however steadily: you’re able to fry.
- It seems prefer it’s boiling around your chopstick: your oil is just too scorching.
Additionally secret is having sufficient oil so the corn canine can float. That is the way you’ll get a fair golden brown coloration.
The place to purchase a Korean corn canine
When you don’t wish to make these Korean corn canines at the house, don’t fear, I’ve gotcha! They promote frozen Korean corn canine at Korean grocery shops – particularly H-Mart. Simply pop them in your air fryer for a few minutes and also you’re good to go. You may also attempt Korean corn canine at well-liked Korean corn canines chains like Chung Chun Rice Sizzling Canine or Myungrang Sizzling Canine.
Korean corn canine variations
There are a few thousand totally different sorts of Korean corn canine coatings that you may get in Korea. Listed below are some concepts for you for those who’ve tried the unique and wish to broaden your corn canine world!
- Gamja-hot canine – Gamja scorching canines are french fry scorching canines. Gamja is potato in Korean and what they do is chopped up french fries to coat as an alternative to the panko. The fries are crispy and salty and are wonderful with scorching canine and cheese.
- Cornflake canine – As a substitute for panko, use crushed-up cornflakes for a real play on corn canine. The toasty corn-y taste of cornflakes pairs exceptionally properly.
- Ramen canine – Crushed-up instantaneous ramen packets add immense crunch. You may also sprinkle on the seasoning packet for additional instantaneous ramen vibes.
- Crispy rice – Crispy rice puffs are a pleasant addition – you may both crush up rice crackers or get your hands on Korean rice puffs and roll your corn canine in rice as an alternative of panko.
- Sizzling Cheetos – Sizzling cheetos add crunch and spice. Drizzle some lime and mayo on and it’s AMAZING, particularly for those who do a mozzarella canine.
- Are you able to make Korean corn canine and freeze them?
Deep fry the corn canine till they’re cooked by way of after which cool fully earlier than freezing individually on a tray then placing them in freezer luggage. You’ll be able to reheat them within the air fryer or oven bake them.
- Are you able to bake Korean corn canine?
If you wish to reheat Korean corn canine within the oven, you may place already deep fried frozen corn canine on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes, flipping sometimes till heated by way of and crisp.
- Are you able to pan fry Korean corn canine in a skillet?
You’ll be able to nevertheless it takes a bit extra talent and warmth administration. Your corn canine might find yourself uneven trying and deep frying is superior. To shallow fry, place at lease 1/2 inch of oil in frying pan and warmth it up till the tip of a picket chopstick bubbles round it. Gently place the corndogs within the scorching oil and fry, turning as wanted till all of the batter cooks by way of and all the edges flip golden brown.
- Can I omit the sugar in Korean corn canine?
Sure, if you need, you may omit the sugar within the batter and as a topping, however one of many scrumptious elements of Korean corn canine is the combo between candy and salty.
- Cheese solely Korean corn canine
Some individuals have requested if you may make cheese solely corn canine and the reply is in fact! Simply slice your cheese into longer scorching canine formed skewers.
- Do I want baking powder for Korean corn canine?
On this recipe the baking powder is crucial to assist the batter puff up and change into gentle and crispy. When you depart the baking powder out, the skin of the corn canine can be dense and difficult.